"Playing games in today's public and schol libraries is a profoundly social experience for library patrons both young and old."
ALA Office for Literacy and Outreach
Gaming Readiness Inventory
What do you need to do right now to provide gaming services to gamers in your library?
Tips from the expert panel follow:
- Identify who
uses the library right now
- Try to find out what groups aren’t coming to the library
- Survey library users to determine their gaming preferences and their
wish list of services
- Be sure that library collections match patron requests and community
- Know your administration and your allies
- Get buy-in by explaining the positive outcomes of what gaming can do for libraries
- Identify frequently
- Discuss challenges and barriers to delivering gaming services
- Brainstorm solutions and changes.
- Promote collaboration and creativity
- Share success stories
to your community:
- Connect with
community-based gaming programs, partnerships, and organizations
- Introduce the library to businesses, faith-based organizations, community
centers, social service agencies, the media, and your city government
- Invite community members to your library for gaming and conversation
- Develop a game
plan for adding and expanding new gaming services.
- Create a timeline
- Review your resources-- human, fiscal, and in-kind
- Recruit strong allies
- Take action!